Sunday, January 10, 2010

Monday Featured Artisan - Greenwood Creations

Today's featured artisan is Michelle of Greenwood Creations
Her shop can be found at: http://www.Parizadhe.etsy.com
She is one of my Pagans of Etsy Street Team teammates. Her work is amazing!

What do you make?
I make crafts from wood. I primarily decorate in pyrography (wood burning), but every now and again I'll use henna paste or acrylic paints.

What drew you to your craft and why did you start selling your items?

I use acrylics because they are an expedient way to get color onto a project. Acrylics are convenient for me.
I work in henna from a love of the complexity of mehndi design, and the complexity of the ritual: sifting the powder, mixing the paste, perfecting the recipe, the process of creating each cone. Henna relaxes me.

Pyrography, now, is a different matter. Someone gave me a pyrography pen when I was very young, and it sat unused until I was in college. Once I picked it up, I didn't want to put it down. The smell of the wood as it burns, the feel of the pen gliding across the grain, the emerging elegance of each line, delighted me. I love to woodburn; pyrography enchants me.

I began selling my work because a few people said to me, "you ought to sell that." Also, my Real Job doesn't pay much, and every little bit helps tremendously!

What is your favorite part of creating your items?
My favorite part is definitely "finalizing" a design. Setting the design down in the chosen medium is a magical moment, whether it's with my henna cone or my pyrography pen. Seeing the lines take form thrills me.

Is your craft a full time endeavor or a hobby?
My craft is a hobby right now. I would like it to be a full time endeavor, but who knows what tomorrow will actually bring?

When you aren't working on your craft what do you enjoy doing?
I love to read. Jane Austen is a perennial favorite of mine; I also enjoy anything by Dan Abnett. I'm also a pretty big geek, and really look forward to our weekly Dungeons and Dragons games.

Is there anything else about your craft or yourself you would like to share?
I have a son who's going to be three this month, a very supportive and loving husband, and two delightfully fat cats.

The photos here are just a small sample of what Michele makes to see more of these amazing creations visit Greenwood Creations
Pieces in this post:
1. Swirls Pentacle
2. Hera Pentacle
3. Mandala Pentacle

No comments:

Post a Comment