Monday, February 23, 2009

The Quandaries of an Artist

I was reading through the forums of Etsy.com this morning and came across an issue that many artists run into... Why their art isn't selling.

The wonderful artist, Matthew, who started the thread was asking what he could do to make his artwork more salable. He was looking for answers to the question every artist asks "Why is my work not selling." However, through commenting on the thread myself and reading through other comments Matthew is honestly looking for ways to create artwork that will appeal to a wider group of people. From seeing his work and feeling the eternal struggle myself I wanted to share his work with all of you.


The question is not a matter of to 'sell out' as an artist or not. It is more a question of how to keep doing what an artist loves and feels compelled to create while still being able to eat. Although the idea of being an artist is often romanticized and many people will say 'You should create what you like' or 'Follow your heart' the cold reality is if what an artist creates is not appreciated and bought it will force the artist to change or quit in order to survive in the world. I will be very interested to see how the style of Matthew's art changes and grows with time and the suggestions he has received.







Matthew's Etsy shop is
MATTSART FINE ART







If you are interest in the forum thread it can be found here:
http://www.etsy.com/forums_thread.php?thread_id=6054387

4 comments:

  1. I especially wanted to comment on this one as I deeply feel this - having watched my Father with the same questions. I admit that I cry often, now that he's past, as I finally have an answer that could have helped him - but it's too late.

    The answer is much to long to try to post details here. But I firmly believe that an artist needs to diversify enough to have several streams of income - and still allow the time that's needed to create using the gift the Universe gave.

    {{{hugs}}}
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful art! And a very touching comment from Sandy Marie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for stopping by, LillyShayStyle.

    Ash

    ReplyDelete